Thursday 3 February 2011

Theme: Mission in Progress, Part 1

So I had a literal epiphany on Tuesday morning, I was in the shower, thinking about the venue, thinking about how we could decorate and stuff, when suddenly, literally, a thunderbolt hit my head, and I realised, the perfect theme for Andy and I is.... (and if you know me, this will come as no surprise) MUSIC!

As I said, anyone who knows me will know I'm a teensy bit fanatical about music.  I made Andy stay up until about midnight on Monday playing him one of my Spotify playlists.  He sent me an email on Tuesday morning to say I did have a rather impressive knowledge of music (which made my day, how sad!).  Now, whilst I don't know everything, and I'm not claiming too, there are a lot of tunes stored in this tiny brain of mine and I know how to use them!

I think music has always been a passion for both Andy and I, to different degrees though I think.  His parents are a generation removed from mine and as such he grew up with Jazz (his dad) and Buddy Holly (his mum).  My parents were in their twenties in the 80s and as such I grew up listening to Genesis and Pink Floyd (my dad) and the Beatles (my mum, okay, so the Beatles are 80s, but my dad HATES the Beatles, which I struggle to understand how anyone can hate the Beatles, don't get me started!!)

Andy spent his teenage years listening to The Cure (with whom my only recollection was of seeing the video for Friday I'm In Love on TOTP, or Top Of The Pops for you younger followers who sadly missed out on that great British institution in it's heyday.  My parents had a date to see TOTP be recorded, my mum spends every Saturday watching TOTP 2 on UK Gold just to see if their episode comes up, much in the same way I watch Top Gear on Dave to spot myself, aged 18 in a white hoody being obscured by Johnny Vegas, this ruining my 5 minutes of TV air time!  I digest....)

So where was I?  Oh yes, Andy liked The Cure and Nirvana and Oasis (yuk!) whilst I spent my time listening to Blur, The Prodigy and Ministry of Sound Annuals.

I think our teenage relationships formed our musical taste, The Cure for Andy and for me, large doses of Drum and Bass, UK Garage and House (my teenage friends and boyfriend were all 'DJs', they all had the decks, the vinyl, the big headphones).  I also used to listen to old stuff; Pink Floyd, The Who, The Clash.  So I swing from UK Garage to The Who and back to The Prodigy.

So anyway, I'm rambling, my iMac is crashing every 5 minutes so I'm going to adjourn to apply my make up, pop to Worcester Park, pick up some old records from the DebRA charity shop and come back for Part 2 of my explanation on our theme!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like comments, please leave me one to brighten my day!